Best Apps to File Your Taxes with Your Phone
A couple of weeks ago, I wrote about the new app from the IRS that lets taxpayers check refund status on smartphones. While IRS3Go is a fine app, you can only check your refund status, if you are expecting one, with the application, which is available for both iPhones and Android phones. If you are looking for an app that you actually use to file your taxes, you need to look at somewhere else because the IRS has no such an app, even though it does offer free e-file for some eligible taxpayers from its website.
CNNMoney has an article yesterday about 7 apps that will make filing federal taxes easier this year, if you choose to file your taxes with your smartphone, and IRS2Go is one of them. The other 6 apps are:
- TurboTax SnapTax: This TurboTax app, available for both iPhones and Android phones, lets you e-file your simple federal income tax from your phone. You can take a photo of your W-2 and the app will transfer the data into your tax form. The app is free to try, but if you want to use it to file your taxes, it will cost you $14.99.
- TaxOrganizer: This app lets you take a snapshot of your receipts, organize and store them online. When you are ready to file your taxes, you can email all the receipt pictures to yourself or your accountant. The cost for using this app is $14.95 a month.
- TaxCaster Mobile: While you can use IRS2Go to check refund status, TaxCaster, from TurboTax, will let you know the size of your refund check (or how much you have to pay back) after entering some basic information. TaxCaster is free.
- iDonatedIt: This iPhone app will help you keep track of donations (when, where, and what) you have made. At tax time, you can email a full report of donations to yourself or your accountant. The cost of this app is $2.99.
- iTaxMama: Can’t remember tax related deadlines? This iPhone app can help. It will send you email alert when a deadline arrives and bring up related IRS tax form. You can get the app for $2.99.
- Dictionary of Tax Terms: Don’t understand a tax term? This iPhone and BlackBerry app will explain it for you, for $1.99.
Do you find any of these apps useful?
This article was originally written or modified on . If you enjoyed reading this post, please consider subscribing to my full RSS feed. Or you can also choose to have free daily updates delivered right to your inbox.