Considering Another Bank Account

I was really impressed the other day when I found out that Provident Direct, a little known online bank, was offering 4.50% APY with their high-yield savings account, when everybody else was paying almost a full percentage point less. At that time, I was thinking of getting a new account if they won’t dramatically lower their rate after the Fed’s rate cut a week ago.

Well, I am still looking for an online bank that gives me more than my current bank, FNBO Direct (3.25% APY) and IGoBanking (3.28% APY), but my target isn’t Provident Direct any more after the bank dropped its interest rate by 0.75% last week following the Fed’s move. It’s Capital One Direct Banking’s Online Savings Account.

capital_one_direct_banking.png

I don’t have a good feeling about Capital One in general and don’t like their “What’s in your wallet?” credit card commercial a lot, but the 3.85% APY sure looks attractive. The only drawback of this account, as I can see now, is its high balance requirement. To earn 3.85% APY, the balance has to be $10,000 or more. However, if the daily balance falls below the requirement, there’s no extra fee and the balance can still earn a rate of 3.00% APY, according to their rate page. The minimum deposit to open an account is $1 and there’s no fee for this account, which means the account doesn’t have to be closed if the rate becomes unfavorable in the future.

I am seriously considering it.

Anybody else has experience with Capital One Direct Banking?

BTW, some latest rates besides those mentioned above:

It’s a full time job just to track how the rats change every day :)

11 Responses to “Considering Another Bank Account”

1. steve |  Mar 31, 2008 at 10:31 am

current apy 3.10%

2. moonimus |  Mar 31, 2008 at 1:34 pm

I have a One United account which earns 4%. I know other people have had problems with them in the past and they also only pay interest quarterly as well. I’ve been satisfied with their customer service and I hardly touch my savings account so the quarterly payment doesn’t really affect me.

3. BigBroodGander |  Mar 31, 2008 at 2:32 pm

I have had a Capital One Account since December. I don’t qualify for the higher rate and I haven’t had any trouble with it.

It is fairly easy to set up accounts at other banks for money transfers if you want, but it seems to take a long time to transfer funds. It can sometimes take a little over a a week depending on when you do it. That seems long to me though I don’t have a lot of experience elsewhere.

Overall, I’m happy with the account except for the rotten interest rate now, which you note above and I can really only complain about the Fed for that.

4. Tom |  Mar 31, 2008 at 5:03 pm

That’s the only thing I hate about those new banks popping up. They tend to offer great rates.. people sign up and the rates drop two weeks later, it’s annoying!

5. Christian Finance |  Mar 31, 2008 at 8:10 pm

If you’re looking for a better deal with the same $10,000 minimum balance, look at Countrywide Bank. They’re offering 4.05% currently fully FDIC insured up to $100,000 ($200,000 joint). There’s a possibility that they might go under but who cares? You’re still insured.

6. Sun |  Mar 31, 2008 at 8:55 pm

Steve: I guess I used the wrong link for the savings account. I have updated the link which still shows a 3.85% APY.

Christian Finance: Thanks! I will check it out

7. aa |  Mar 31, 2008 at 11:31 pm

The rates are going down, it’s a waste of time fighting for that extra $50 interest a year.