How to File a Tax Extension 2011

The 2011 federal income tax deadline, April 18th, is only a little over a week away. If you haven’t finished your tax return yet, there isn’t much time to wait now. I haven’t done with our tax returns yet, as many times in the past, I will probably wait till next Friday April 15th to mail the returns out. Even though I haven’t completed the filing yet, I am confident that I can get it done before the tax day. Therefor, I have no plan to file extension. However, if for some reasons that you think you won’t be able to file your 2010 federal tax on time, you should prepare to request an extension of time to file your tax return which will automatically give you another 6 months or more to prepare your federal tax. That should give you plenty of time to get thing ready for filing. But you must file the extension on or before the tax day.

If that’s the case, there are a few options for you to file an federal tax extension for 2010 income taxes, either free or with a small fee. Of these options that are to be discussed, I would recommend check out free filing first. There’s no reason to pay for the service if you can get it done for free. To file an extension for free, you can always use IRS’s free e-filing service. Currently, the IRS has two options for taxpayers seeking an extension: On IRS Free File page, you can use either

  • Traditional free file, or
  • Free file fillable form

to request an extension electronically. Even though there’s an income limit (less than $56,000) to use IRS Free File to file federal income tax, the Free File is free for any taxpayer to file a federal extension request from a home computer by April 15, regardless of income. As I mentioned earlier, using free e-filing to get an extension is fast, secure and convenient. Of course, you can always fill out the paper Form 4868 and mail it to IRS if you choose to do so :)

BTW, to qualify for an extension, you must

  1. Properly estimate your 2009 tax liability using the information available to you,
  2. Enter your total tax liability on line 4 of Form 4868, and
  3. File Form 4868 by the regular due date of your return.

Then, there are also paid services. For example, FileLater lets you file a federal extension for $9.95 (regular price $17.95), which can be done on April 158th. Alternatively, you can also use CompleteTax to file an extension for $9.95.

This article was originally written or modified on . If you enjoyed reading this post, please consider subscribing to my full RSS feed. Or you can also choose to have free daily updates delivered right to your inbox.

Author Info

This post was written by Sun You can find out more about Sun and his activities on Facebook , or follow him on Twitter .

One Response to “How to File a Tax Extension 2011”

  1. Income Tax Extension |  Mar 31, 2010 at 11:43 am

    Really Good regarding income tax extension filing. I would like to read all post and main thing is that this year I think more people are filing tax extension because of recession. Thanks for sharing