AMEX TrueEarnings Card Trouble

Ever since I discovered the mysterious charges on my AMEX TrueEarnings card in February, I called American Express almost on a monthly basis: to get a refund of the unauthorized charge and check the status of the investigation I was promised for. I got the refund every time I called, but the investigation seemed going nowhere until early June after I finally spoke with a manager. Back then I was told to give them 8 weeks and let the investigation finish. I took their words and waited patiently for the outcome of the investigation.

Last night when I checked my statement, I was shocked to see that not only the charge from Netherlands kept coming, but amount jumped from $37.90 to $309.60 in July!

That’s great! I am asking to get the charge stopped, not for more! Then I called and asked to speak to the supervisor directly and got her version of what has been going on. Apparently nothing. She told me that since all the previous charges were relatively small ($37.90), what they did was just re-bill the merchant and refund me the money. There was no investigation at all despite the promise from the last manager. So basically what I heard was the $37.90 charge wasn’t worth the time and effort. Now as the activities at the other party have no sign of stopping and the amount is getting larger, she said this time they will get serious about this matter and will actually contact the merchant to resolve it.

It’s really frustrating to see that a company with good reputation in customer service ignored repeated requests for an investigation to end the unauthorized charges, which first appeared in last December. The manager said she understood my feeling and she would feel the same way if she were in my situation. However, I am disappointed by their no action simply because the amount was not significant.

In the end, I was assured, again, this time they will bring me a solid result from the investigation. And as I expected, that’s another 8 weeks away!

13 Responses to “AMEX TrueEarnings Card Trouble”

1. Lulu |  Aug 02, 2007 at 10:08 am

Ouch!That is really messed up. I wonder why they thought the amount was too insignificant to investigate and then thought it was easier to just do a chargeback and give you a refund.
    That mess up could cause a lot more problems later on because it could have affected your credit score….and that would take a longer time to fix.

2. ParatrooperJJ |  Aug 02, 2007 at 11:29 am

Report it stolen and get a new number!

3. Tim |  Aug 02, 2007 at 2:33 pm

this is the kind of reason i will never get an AMEX again. any other credit card company would have canceled the card immediately. i’m still baffled by why amex did not do so from the beginning.

4. Joseph Sangl |  Aug 02, 2007 at 4:34 pm

This is why I would rather be told flat out that there will be no investigation instead of being lied to or misled!

The day I chopped up my credit cards was the day I stopped having problems with credit card companies!

We will hold our breath for the response in 8 weeks!

5. MoneyNing |  Aug 02, 2007 at 6:19 pm

Wow sorry to hear that this is happening to you. Try to follow up on them and get different people on the line and ask them what is being done about it instead of asking them if this and that was done. This will give you an indication of whether or not people are lying to you or not.

6. SingleGuyMoney |  Aug 02, 2007 at 7:33 pm

I am having the same problem. I cancelled my RealPlayer account last year but each month they charge me $14.99. Each month I have to go in a dispute the charge. I have not called AMEX because I hate dealing with customer service. They also refund the fee every month but I am still tired of having to do this every month.

7. Brip Blap |  Aug 02, 2007 at 9:49 pm

That’s strange, because Amex has always been very aggressive in tracking down problems with my accounts, even with the small amounts. I wonder if it has to do with the -type- of Amex?

8. Tim |  Aug 03, 2007 at 1:14 am

sun, I remember you writing that it was a recurring charge and amex telling you even if they canceled the card, the new charge would show up on the new number. that’s what i find most goofy. our bank closed our visa account b/c of unauthorized charges that ended up being recurring charges. they closed the account immediately and there were no issues. so i don’t understand how this would be different for amex; moreover, if the merchant tried to do another charge, the charge would be refused b/c it’s a closed account. doesn’t make sense to me, but i hate amex for other reasons.

9. Sun |  Aug 03, 2007 at 6:49 am

The first thing I did when I noticed the charge was asking AMEX to cancel the card and give me a number card with a new account number. However, they told me that since this is a recurring charge, they can continue to charge the old card and all the charges will be transferred to the new card even if the old card is closed. I am not sure how exactly it works but I was told by managers and CSRs the same story. Now I am just waiting and hopefully they can resolve it.

10. Tim |  Aug 03, 2007 at 9:34 am

considering amex really didn’t do anything with your card, i can’t believe that this is how it works. I just can’t get past the part about a closed account not kicking back to the company trying to charge a denial of charge on a closed account. sounds like amex is trying to get charge fees from the recurring charges and trying to work with the company doing the charges for back payment rather than closing the account outright. at this point, i would just tell amex to close the account and not issue a new account. that would logically solve the problem about the charges going on a new account. it also sounds stupid that amex would internally redivert charges from one account to a completely different account.

now with that said, even after 6 months of closing the account, my visa credit card still issues a statement for both accounts.

the only thing i would suggest is that you call the company that is doing the recurring charges to stop charging your credit account.

11. Real Esate Editorial |  Aug 08, 2007 at 10:10 am

It always amazes me how companies such as this can get away with terrible problem resolution and customer service, but when the shoe is on the other foot watch out.

12. Moneymonk |  Aug 08, 2007 at 4:44 pm

“they can continue to charge the old card and all the charges will be transferred to the new card even if the old card is closed”

What???? I never heard anything like that in my life. AMEX is full of it.

13. Mike Conrad |  Aug 24, 2007 at 5:38 pm

How well I remember… I used to have customer-service issues with Amex all the time. Then I finally wised up, cancelled my account, and life is better now. I have four other credit cards and have had very few issues with them over the years.

Vote with your feet. It’s the only thing that works.