Reader Question: When Will Social Security Recipients Receive $250 Payment?

A reader, Brenda, today commented on my American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009 Breakdown post with the following question:

When will we get the 250.00, those of us that are on S.S. or will we.

When I read those articles on the stimulus plan after it was passed over the weekend, I didn’t see a mention of when people on social security benefits like Brenda will received the Economic Stimulus One-Time Payment, though I did read from somewhere that the payment will be distributed by the organization who also deliver the social security benefits. This means that, unlike the first economic stimulus payment we received last year, the check won’t come from IRS, but will from the Social Security Administration (SSA). And since this group of people, people on social security benefits, are the only ones receiving cash payment from the 2009 stimulus plan, there could be plenty of questions regarding when the payment will come. So I did a little search and went to SSA’s website (BTW, you should bookmark this site for further information) where found the following information about the time frame:

President Obama recently signed the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009. This act provides for the one-time payment of $250 to individuals who get Supplemental Security Income or Social Security benefits.

We expect everyone who is entitled to a payment to receive it by late May 2009. No action is required on your part.

We are currently working on the details regarding how we will issue over 60 million one-time payments to our beneficiaries.

When more information becomes available, we will promptly post it here. Please bookmark this site and check back regularly. Thank you.

So basically, SSI recipients can expect to receive the payment by early June if the payments are to be sent out by late May. In addition, according to SSA, for those who are currently receiving their benefits by check, then the one-time payment will also come in as a check in the mail. If you get your benefits via direct deposit, then you will have $250 direct-deposited into your bank, another reason why you should use direct deposit :)

Update: First payments are sent on May 7, 2009.

Update: SSA has an FAQ section which answers most questions on eligibility of the $250 one-time payment. For example:

Question: Who will receive a one-time economic recovery payment from Social Security?
Answer: Nearly 55 million Social Security and SSI beneficiaries will receive a one-time payment of $250 each. To receive a payment, the beneficiary’s address of record must be in one of the 50 states, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, Guam, the U.S. Virgin Islands, American Samoa, or the Northern Mariana Islands.

Question: Are children who receive Social Security benefits eligible for the one-time economic recovery payment?
Answer: No, children under the age of 18 (19 if still in high school) who receive Social Security benefits are NOT eligible for the one-time payment. However, disabled adult children will receive a payment.

Question: Are children who receive SSI benefits eligible for the one-time economic recovery payment?
Answer: Yes, disabled children receiving SSI are eligible for the one-time payment.

Question: I became eligible for benefits in February 2009. Will I receive the one-time economic recovery payment?
Answer:No. Only individuals eligible for Social Security, SSI, Veterans, or Railroad Retirement benefits at any time during the months of November 2008, December 2008, or January 2009 may be eligible for the one-time payment.

Question: Will ALL Social Security and SSI beneficiaries receive a one-time economic recovery payment of $250?
Answer: No. In most cases, the following individuals will NOT receive the one-time payment:

• Anyone living outside of the United States or its territories;
  • Individuals who no longer are lawfully present in the United States;
  • Individuals whose benefits have been suspended under the law for giving false or misleading statements;
  • Social Security beneficiaries who are minor children;
  • SSI beneficiaries who receive benefits at a reduced rate of $30 because they live in a medical treatment facility (such as a nursing home or hospital) and Medicaid pays over 50% of the cost of their care;
  • Individuals only entitled to Medicare and not to Social Security or SSI benefits; and
  • Prisoners, fugitive felons, and probation and parole violators.

Every situation is different, and there may be exceptions to these rules.

Check out the FAQ section to find out more.

21 Responses to “Reader Question: When Will Social Security Recipients Receive $250 Payment?”

1. ParatrooperJJ |  Feb 19, 2009 at 9:45 am

I beleive that disabled veterans receiving compensation from the VA will also get $250.

2. Sun |  Feb 19, 2009 at 9:51 am

Right, retired/disabled veterans will also get the $250 one-time payment.

3. Maryann Hayes |  Mar 02, 2009 at 10:01 am

If I understand this right, these one time payments are made in 2009, the people who start reciving the early part of 2009 do not receive these checks. So once again someone gets left out it bettering things for the American citizens. Their on limited income and things dont get better for them.

4. Andy |  Mar 09, 2009 at 8:25 am

One point to note, based on some comments I have also got on this topic, is that you can qualify for both the $800/$400 working credit and SS $250 payment. The key is ensure you don’t claim both – that is, deduct the SS payment if you are eligbile to claim the working credit.

5. Sandi |  Apr 08, 2009 at 2:45 pm

So what happens to my grandmother’s stimulus check since she lives in an assisted living place and they get her SS checks via direct deposit? Does that mean she won’t even see the $250.00? Anything I can do for her?

6. Anne Fisher |  Apr 15, 2009 at 9:45 pm

I got screwed out of the stimulis check last year because I am on disability…… Will I recieve the $250. or be screwed out of the help once again …I have bills to pay and a child that is still in school….

7. rochelle |  Apr 16, 2009 at 9:56 pm

My daughter has been on ssi since 2008 shortly after birth. She is permanently disabled, will she be getting a one time payment as well?

8. Iris |  Apr 17, 2009 at 8:45 pm

My husband gets social security but even though I am fully disabled I do not get disabilitly because I never worked enough quaters they say and don’t get ssi cuz my husband gets over the limit they use for that …so guess I won’t get the 250 either!

9. Sun |  Apr 17, 2009 at 9:02 pm

I am not sure exactly who will receive the one-time payment, but this is what I found on SSA website regarding eligibility:

“Nearly 55 million Social Security and SSI beneficiaries will receive a one-time payment of $250 each. To receive a payment, the beneficiary’s address of record must be in one of the 50 states, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, Guam, the U.S. Virgin Islands, American Samoa, or the Northern Mariana Islands.”

So it seems that as long as you are receiving social security benefit, then you will get the payment.

@rochelle Yes, your daughter will receive the payment.

10. Edward Robinson |  Apr 22, 2009 at 12:51 pm

Will they start sending out the checks soon, or just send them all out at once in late May?

11. yo yo |  Apr 28, 2009 at 8:09 am

WHY DON’T THE KIDS GET THE 250.00 THIS SO MUCH B.S.

12. Velma J Brown |  May 14, 2009 at 12:36 pm

Are all going by the Social Security numbers or by their last names. What date if on SSI wil the checks start comeing for lots of my friends that are on Soc. Sec. have got their one time checks. Please let me know when we are expected to get ours. Thanks . Velma Brown

13. JENNIFER FAYE MASON |  Nov 10, 2009 at 8:29 pm

iI READ IN THE NEWS PAPER THAT DUE TO WE WONT BE GETTING A RAISE FOR 2010.THAT WE WILL BE GETTING ANOTHER 250.BEFORE OR AFTER THE CONGRESSIONAL ELECTION.IF ANYBODY HAS RECEIVED THERES PLEASE LET ME KNOW.THANKS AN GOD BLESS YOU ALL!

14. marcie |  Feb 16, 2010 at 4:44 pm

i keep hearing we are going to get the 250.00 this year (2010) but havent heard anymore about it. does anyone know if or when we will get it?

15. Bunny Cousin |  Mar 01, 2010 at 12:44 pm

my mom has not recieved hers at all and she is a social security recipient. She watched for it but it never came; is there a way to check that?

16. Garth Michaels |  Mar 22, 2010 at 1:39 am

I, too, have heard about a $250 check that Social Security recipients might get because they did not receive any cost of living increases this year. Does anyone know anything about this check? Are we likely to get this money sometime in 2010 or will it just disappear off the radar and not happen?

Any help at all would be greatly appreciated! Thank you very much.

17. judi |  Jun 24, 2010 at 8:42 pm

go to white house web site click on issues an down to social security/ seniors. Obama put on the website we will receive the 250 but when.